Antony Parish is bounded on the north by the River Lynher and St German creek, on the east by Hamoaze, on the south-east by the town of Torpoint, on the south by the parish of St John and Whitsand Bay, and on the west by the parish of Sheviock. The parish covers an area of 3222 acres of land,
The Parish includes the settlements of Antony and Wilcove and the 2011 Census records a population of 500. Antony village has a community shop managed and manned by local volunteers, open daily. Both villages have busy village halls and a local public house and are twinned with Benodet in Brittany.
The medieval Anglican church of St.James the Great sits above the village of Antony, and there is an Anglican Chapel of Ease at Maryfield built by the Carew Pole family. Both churches have regular Sunday services. Antony Church of England Primary School is close to the church in the village of Antony
Antony House, the ancestral home of the Carew Pole family and now a popular National Trust property, lies in the parish.
There are two forts in the parish, Scraesdon Fort and Tregantle Fort; the latter is currently used as a base camp for the adjacent military firing range.
The village of Antony, or Antone, was mentioned in the 1086 Doomsday book where Antony Manor was reportedly held by Ermenhald from Tavistock Abbey. During its long history, Antony Parish has been referred to by various names including Antony-in-East, Antony St Jacob and East Antony as well as Antony-by-Rame. The parish is now just called 'Antony' (Cornish: Anta) named after Saint Antony and possibly Anta’s Farm.
Meetings, Agendas & Minutes
Reports, Policies and Documents
Full Graphics Website
Website by WesternWeb Ltd
Last updated 26th June 2017